The Green Deal
So what is it?
Its called the Green Deal but in reality its a way of paying for installing energy efficient measures, such as roof insulation, from the savings you will make on your energy bill!
Having some of the oldest buildings in Europe, the British home owner pays a high price for inefficient housing which is often draughty, poorly insulated and leaks heat.
The Green Deal aims to help bring buildings up to date by helping to fund energy efficiency improvements to homes without having to front up the cash! Instead repayments are made through the savings made on energy bills and can be paid back over 20-25 years!
As this scheme is being billed as a ‘loan’, it may put some people off taking it up. However the Green Deal isn’t the same as a traditional loan:
- There should be no additional cost to you, the homeowner, as the ‘loan’ is paid for using the savings made on your energy bill. At most, you should be paying the same as you do now;
- The Green Deal Finance Company are less tough then normal lenders in their credit scoring so a greater proportion should be accepted;
- The repayments are spread over a longer period (20-25 years in some cases) and is tied to the home, not the homeowner. If you move, the ‘loan’ is passed to the new homeowner;
- The repayments are paid back through your electricity bill so you do not have to make repayments separately to a third party;
- Once the ‘loan’ is paid back you will feel the big benefit through the energy savings.
The ‘Golden Rule’ of the Green Deal? Repayments MUST be less than the money you will save on your energy bills! So the amount you save will always be greater than the cost of the measure.
How does the Green Deal Work?
The Green Deal process has four stages and Ploughcroft can help you through all stages of the process:
- Assessment – One of our Assessors will visit your property to identify what energy efficient improvements you can make and what the financial savings are likely to be. They will produce a Green Deal report outlining your options;
- Finance – Once you have decided which options you wish to take up you are free to get quotations from Green Deal Installers to carry out the work. We will then submit your report and quotations to a Green Deal Provider who will produce a draft calculation for you to consider. Once you are happy with the proposal it will be put forward to the Green Deal Finance Company for approval;
- Installation – The Green Deal Provider will arrange for your chosen Green Deal Installer to carry out the work;
- Repayment – The cost of the improvements are paid back over time through your electricity bill . The amount you repay will be no more than what you have saved on your energy bill through installing the measures.
Thinking of taking up the Green Deal? Then do it quickly whilst there is £100s of cashbook available!
In an attempt to encourage uptake the Government has £125m available for early adopters of the scheme. If your thinking of taking up the scheme then do it now as the cash back scheme is due to expire at the end of March 2014.
The cashback is available even if you do not proceed to take up the Green Deal loan. However you do need a Green Deal Assessment and you do need to carry out the work through a Green Deal Provider – even if you decide to pay for the measures installing yourself! Green Deal Finance is designed to help people who do not have the money to pay for energy improvements upfront. If you DO have the ability to pay upfront you can avoid interest costs, take advantage of the cash back offer and benefit from the energy cost savings yourself!
Further information of the cash back rates can be found at www.gdcashback.decc.gov.uk/
What improvements does the Green Deal cover?
There are currently 45 measures covered by the Green Deal which fall into the following:
- Heating / Hot Water
- Micro generation
Which measures can Ploughcroft install for you?
Currently, Ploughcroft are installing the following measures under the Green Deal:
- Room in the Roof Insulation
- Flat Roof Insulation
- Internal Wall Insulation
- Cavity Wall Insulation (hard to treat properties)
Regional Green Deal Cover
For more information about Green Deal availability in your area :